As we welcome consecutive 75+ degree days and more sunny days than we can count, we’ve got to get prepared for sundress season! There’s no other time of year that I find myself wearing dresses as often. I wouldn’t say I’m a dress girl at heart, but I love how feminine they make me feel and how easy they can be to wear. But, being easy to wear only happens when you find the right dress and that can be quite the task! Finding the perfect silhouette for your body type is the difference between wearing a dress and letting it wear you. Here are my 5 tips for finding that perfect dress you can rock all summer long:
1. Identify your best length: Know what length looks best on you and what you feel most comfortable in. Since I’m tall, I have to be careful that my minis aren’t too revealing but I can get away with all the maxi and midi dresses I want! Tall ladies, those are great length options because depending on the event they can elongate our frame even more.
2. Own your best features: One of my favorite features are my legs. I’ll wear a dress showing them off any day. Find the physical attributes you love about yourself and let everyone know it! Just make sure that it is appropriate for the occasion.
3. Show skin selectively: If I wear something low-cut, I make sure it’s a longer length or vice-versa – if I opt for a shorter hemline, I make sure it’s a higher neckline.
4. Invest in dresses you’ll wear more than once: When it comes to buying a dress I always make sure it’s one that I can wear multiple times. Think of different ways that you can wear or style a dress before you buy it that way you can justify the purchase if it seems a little ridiculous at the time. No need for buyers remorse if you follow that!
5. Buy dresses that make you feel good: There’s no better feeling (except maybe when you find a swimsuit that you look good in) than finding a dress that you look great in. Although it goes against rule no. 4, if you find a dress that you feel amazing in, buy it. Even if you don’t have a place to wear it right away. I can’t tell you how many times, I dig into the back of my closet and pull out a dress I bought seasons ago just because I know I’ll feel good in it.
Shop The Look:
Dress: J.Crew Faux Wrap Mini Dress
Jacket: J.Crew Oversized Denim Jacket
Sneaks: Reebok Royal Complete Sneakers
Purse: WhoWhatWear Cocktail Crossbody
Hat: Revolve (I got mine last year but here is a great option)
Sunnies: Ray-Ban Clubmaster
Photo Credit: Alana Peoples